It began in junior high, when I insisted I was "fat" and punished myself for it by running miles through the morning dark in trendy-at-the-time basketball high-tops that gave me shin splints so bad that it hurt too much to stand up from the curb after stumbling to grasp my legs in pain.
It continued in my early twenties, when having competed at university for four years in an entirely unrelated sport gave me enough hubris to think I was fit enough to run a marathon, just like that, no training involved; and I could, except then I couldn't walk down stairs or get up off the toilet or hardly even out of bed for about two weeks afterward without recognizing the stupidity of what I'd just done. But I trained the year after that, and for the three years that followed, and the only shame I felt is that George W. Bush's personal record was a couple seconds faster than my own.
It got better, though, and stabilized into a more moderate routine of 10Ks and half-marathons and even this thing called cross-training until almost a year ago, when four days in a row of rough hiking to the bases of two of Patagonia's finest peaks (one, two) strained my Achilles tendon to what felt like the verge of snapping. (Happy honeymoon, newlyweds!) Since then it's been indoor elliptical and stationery bike and the occasional jaunt to the Swiss Alps, and funnily enough, everything's turned out okay.
But even if I'm not actually running in them, rather just plodding along on all but the roughest paths, I still favor my trail runners over hiking boots. The lovely pair shown here got me up a few Peruvian hills, and when I took this photo to commemorate a rather muddy trek, I had no idea that I'd meet my future husband in a Limeño restaurant the very next night. (Right after buying the little blue hat.)
I wasn't wearing them then, but still, I ran to him.
| reappropriated for EmHart's September Photo Challenge. |
Love the picture!! Sorry though about the tendon. :( I love to run and go crazy if I can't! Glad you still get lots of use out of your running shoes!! :)
ReplyDeleteI wish I had that feeling, you are fat, RUN! I'm just like.... Yea I'm fat... Would you pass the doughnut?
ReplyDeleteI love a girl that's not afraid to get dirty!
Loved this! I know that insistent force that pushes you to probably do too much. I love the comfort of a good supportive pair of runners as well. :)
ReplyDeletePart of me wants to know what George Bush's marathon time was so I can compare it to my own (but uh, the other part that thinks he probably beat me really doesn't want to know) ;) Love the last line of this post. Love it.
ReplyDeleteI love shoes that have seen the world. :)
ReplyDeleteI also have tendon issues in my feet. It sucks! I'm with Gemini Momma. I loved the last line of your post. It is fantastic.
ReplyDeleteMight be my favorite photo of the challenge thus far! Hell, it doesn't need any words with it to speak volumes.
ReplyDeleteLove!
ReplyDelete