Friday, September 14, 2012

Fortune-telling.

"You are going to become a mother very, very soon."

If he'd had his fingers on a crystal ball, perhaps I'd believe it. But he didn't. Instead he was leaning earnestly over his desk, hands clasped, peering meaningfully into my eyes, smug in his white coat, displaying a certainty that should radiate only from readers of tarot cards.

That's not all he said, either. To wit:

"Your husband's morphology is 2%? Well, my level is 1%, and I have three children."

"Sperm analysis results are bad for everyone these days."

[Flipping through some kind of medical book.] "But this says that TSH doesn't cross from mother to fetus. So there can't have been a link between your miscarriage and your high TSH at that time."

"It's only been a year. Be patient. You're still young!"

And, of course ...

"You got pregnant once before."

***

None of this was enough to keep me from spreading my legs for him, though. It had been six months and thus it was time for one more follow-up on that "small infection, without gravity." As threatened (twice), I had called a new gynecologist, hoping for better luck next time.

But no; perhaps the next next time. The first gyno was recommended by my primary care doctor, this one by my in-real-life kindred-spirit-in-miscarrige. The subsequent I'll find by randomly sticking a pin into internet search results; perhaps that'll improve my fortune.

***

This was my first full gynecological visit in Switzerland. Although I've grown accustomed to walking around in exam rooms with neither bottoms nor gown, I had never had a breast exam and thus had never had to take off my top. Never, until now.

After doing the head-between-the-stirrups stuff, the smug doc told me to replace my bottom underthings and remove the rest. I went dutifully to the changing corner and did so, and then looked down. Lacy black knickers, thick woolly socks (it's been blustery lately), and nothing else. I resembled some kind of fucked-up wing-less Angel.

Had I misunderstood his French? Was I really supposed to strut back out like this? And assuming "no" followed by "yes," should I cover my breasts for the défilé de mode or just let them bounce?

I went with cover (and dash) and started to reinstall myself behind the stirrups. He glanced up from his papers and chuckled. "No, no!"

I immediately flushed with humiliation, thinking I must not have understood the disrobing instructions. What would he be thinking of this crazy American who thinks she can treat a serious Swiss medical establishment like some kind of pornographic runway?

"No, no!" he repeated. "We only do the torture-table once. Over there," he added, gesturing towards a non-stirruped paper-sheet-adorned slab I hadn't noticed in the back.

And the défilé recommenced.

18 comments:

  1. Grin :) What is normal for me might be totally weird for others. I never thought that that would even apply to a visit to a gyno. I hope you won't have much more surprises like this - but if you do - take them with a smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does make me smile more than anything - I'm not super-prudish but it does make me feel completely ridiculous! The last time I had a male gyno, he kept a female nurse in the room with him whenever he did any kind of physical examination on whatever part of me had to be uncovered from beneath a gown. Now I'm marching around topless in black lace. The contrast makes me laugh.

      Delete
  2. Oh boy that would be weird. I guess at some point you may get used to it....but I am so used to the "American way" that I might stare at the doctor as though he had two heads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm slowly getting used to it but it all just seems so ... undignified.

      Delete
  3. What? "Sperm analysis results are bad for everyone these days." Really, well that's reassuring then.

    To the rest of it, I would have been totally confused as well. That's not the British way from my experience yet. At least you will be more prepared next time ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, "reassuring" could be used to describe just about every aspect of the appointment.

      I will be more prepared next time ... with my granny undies. That'll make me feel less Victoria's Secret, more like a patient.

      Delete
  4. I probably don't need to fan the fires, but this really frustrates me on your behalf. I can't help but think about the difference in philosophies and the difference in health care systems. In the US they are so quick to shuffle you off to a specialist who is usually very eager to start interventions. Especially as we near our mid-30's. It makes me wonder if our market driven healthcare system inflates the sense of reproductive urgency. With that said, I know nothing about the Swiss system, but am assuming that doctors are not paid on a fee-for-service basis. I think that gem is unique to the US.

    I hope you can find a doctor that will be willing to start treatment - clomid or femara, at least. Ideally, an IUI given the semen analysis. Geez!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here doctors bill like lawyers - every minute must be accounted for. So perhaps he doesn't want to waste any time on fertility chitchat because the insurance company won't accept it as part of an annual checkup? Who knows.

      In any case, the fires were not fanned but rather calmed by feeling that I'm not alone in thinking that this approach is incredibly frustrating. Thanks for your voice of support.

      Delete
  5. Man alive. With all my gynecologist appointments I've seriously considered just going everywhere naked until told to do otherwise. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awkward! Geez, I hope you can find a competent doc who's willing to actually listen to your concerns and--what?--actually treat them? Is that asking too much?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems reasonable to me! Fingers crossed the third doc's the charm.

      Delete
  7. Well that sounds like fun... How exciting! You will be pregnant very very soon! ;) I really do hope he's right, but it's so frustruating to hear a doctor be so dismissive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too, but really, what an irresponsible thing for a doctor to say, especially without knowing much at all about a patient's history.

      Delete
  8. How awkward! The chuckling didn't help any I'm sure. It makes me want to stay right here where I least know the routine at my awkward visits. They should just have cubbies in the waiting room where you remove everything and then wait around naked so that by the time you see the doctor it just feels normal :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that idea - it's the half-on/half-off that makes me feel so awkward!

      Delete
  9. LOL, oh my. I lived in France for awhile (Rennes), and I split my toe open playing soccer in Dinard. While at the hospital in the ER, I was petrified that my knowledge of medical French vocabulary wasn't really up to par. And I was right. I can't imagine going through TTC as an ex-pat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is true that I had to learn all kinds of vocab that I never got in French class! That's so cool you lived in France. Nothing like a little medical emergency to really get you talking!

      Delete

Your words brighten my day! Thank you for taking the time to let me know what you're thinking.