Friday, September 14, 2012

Grain [photo challenge].

A mole, in French, is a grain de beauté, a grain of beauty, a term that I find particularly pleasing, without the implications of blemish carried by the similar English "beauty mark."

I'm spotted with them, these grains de beauté. One rests high on my left cheek and I never liked it until the day I mentioned off-handedly to a boyfriend (hint: it wasn't Gilles!) that I wanted to have it removed. He was shocked, telling me that he had always loved it, that its presence highlighted my features, that through asymmetry it provided balance. How strange and sad it would be to see me without it, he told me, touching it lightly.

And for the first time I felt that this mark, this grain, really was one of beauty.

He made me promise not to remove it, and although our time of keeping promises to each other has long since passed, from time to time I look at my left cheek and send a silent thought of thanks to him for what still rests on it.

taken for EmHart's September Photo Challenge.

7 comments:

  1. I am moley all over but I would never want to loose a single one. I am glad your old flame valued your individuality.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have any moles, but I do have freckles all over my body (thank you Irish roots). I used to complain about them, but my mom used to tell me that they give me personality and make me unique. Not that removing freckles is that easy, but I now embrace them. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful story, beautiful photo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful picture. I like the idea of my moles and freckles being grains of beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE the photo.

    And PS, my husband is a moley-person and I looooove moles. And freckles, for that matter. I think they are SO sexy, and I am immediately suspicious of a person who has neither. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Your words brighten my day! Thank you for taking the time to let me know what you're thinking.